Saturday, July 7, 2012

Percolating Percussion

*It's July, and this was written in February...forgotten in the files.  I have plans to write more consistently soon*


Tonight it’s raining, drumming against the gutter.  If I close my eyes, it almost sounds like steady, hollow music of a tin roof.  The rhythm appeases my Aquarian sensabilities—the water bearer, the creative spirit, the “heavenly bohemian.”  I march to the beat of my own drum.  Trite, but satisfying.  Its baseline a steady thump that keeps me on track.  Its tempo the pace of my daily interactions.  I dance and hope its hook strong enough to draw those around me into its chorus.  

Lately this means I’m running on caffeine, idealism, and a head full of ideas looking to escape onto the page or into the ear of the first willing victim, be it human, feline, canine, or technological.  I catch myself jotting the most random in my phone.  Reading the first line note titles is like reading random sentence from the walls of Faulkner’s brainstorm bedroom—a little crazy when you scratch the surface, but there is solidity, cohesion beneath (I hope).

Quiet nights with my whole house sleeping, excepting my persistent cream-point feline shadow, are a treat.  I should be sleeping, or finishing Raising Your Spirited Child, a title that understates the comical and exhausting ins-and-outs of daily life with Isabelle.  She needn’t know that her mother and grandmother were (are?) unruly, gloriously defiant girls, too.

Bedtime is one of my favorite evening rituals.  She loves the undivided mama attention, and I love the things she blurts out.  My little Scorpio goes out with a bang.  Tonight, she announces that she missed me.  I was gone with a birth recently, so I told her that I was working.  She immediately laughs and says, “No, Mama.  Only Daddy goes to work.  You don’t have work clothes.” 

Got me there.   Okay, so I just wear my regular clothes to my work, no blue digicamis to guarantee the Navy will never find me if I end up in the water. 

 “I help mamas having their babies,” the oversimplified kid explanation.

“You’re a good doctor, Mama.”  Strike two.  

“I’m not a doctor, sweetie.”  

“But you helped my eye feel better today.”  Take that victory lap around the plates.  

“Well, I am good at doctoring things sometimes.”

We rock for a while and she says, “You had me like that time Will just came out of your tummy in the bathtub .”  So she does remember those pictures.  She loves seeing the pictures on our computer.  We pull up her baby pictures and let her click around.  One day we looked up to Will emerging into the world with her delighted exclamation of, “Look, a baby!  Oh, it’s just Will!”  

 Tonight I tell her that she was born in a hospital. 

“Why?” 

“Because Mama wasn’t brave enough to have you at home.”  I finally have the opportunity to tell her how much I wanted to give her that same start.  She is three, but she brought it up and is following her original idea like a hound on the hunt.  

“It’s okay, Mama, I just didn’t want to come out when I was a baby in your tummy.”

Where did that come from?  Oh, little girl, you have no idea.  We evicted you.  It wasn’t nice, and I’m still sorry for doing it that way.  You showed us, fist pressed to your cheek at your debut.  Possibly, there was a finger up, telling everyone present what you thought of our ideas of what should be and when.  Who could blame you.

I love her boldness.  I love that my passions are shaping her ideas about motherhood and the amazing capability of a woman’s body.  I love that the qualities I nitpick the most in her are my own weaknesses, that her intensity is most matched to that of my own.  I love that the flood of emotions from her birth still carries me in tow, that a tiny new life changed my course and fixed my center all at once.

No comments: