Monday, February 3, 2014

Soaked Bean Chili

It's that time of day when I'm either prepping what I can of the pre-planned dinner or scrambling to thaw what I've decided to throw together.  This means I have to have a fairly decent stock of basic items.  Tonight we are having Paleo Almond Chicken Tenders (if my chicken breasts thaw in time), baked sweet potatoes, and something green that has yet to be decided.  They are delicious, require a few ingredients, and both kids like them.  This is somewhat miraculous.

Spaghetti is my other last-minute fallback.  Will eats spaghetti like he has not eaten for days.  He is my pickier kid.  He eats lots of things, but not lots of dinner-type things if that makes sense.  Soup and casseroles are two of the biggies on his "no" list.  This makes dinner challenging.  Isabelle will wolf down just about anything.

I couple of weeks ago, I decided to try chili on top of spaghetti noodles.  I'm not the first to make Mexican spaghetti.  He always loves to help cook, so we made it together, and he ate it!  I think he may have even enjoyed it!

The basic ingredients and cooking techniques for chili are just like that of spaghetti--one big pot, meat, onion, bell pepper, tomato--the spices and add-ins are where it gets different.  Onion, bell pepper, various canned tomatoes, frozen veggies, and frozen meat are all basics for me.  I can find all organic, the cans are BPA-free, and I can send Frank on a big trip to the commissary monthly to keep my pantry and freezer stocked without opening a vein at Publix.  I can also order any organic spice that I need from the awesome Frontier co-op that a friend runs.  Avoiding GMOs, eating organic foods, and eating fresh foods when and where you can and can afford does truly make a difference in your overall health.
One thumbs up
Another thumbs up


I hope your kid's plate will look like this
  1. 1 pound grass-fed ground beef (optional: 1-1/2 pound of your favorite sausage, casings removed.  I had chorizo from Fresh Market.)
  2. 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
  3. 1 large onion, finely chopped
  4. 3-5 (or more for me!) cloves of garlic, grated on a microplane or smashed then minced
  5. 1 can of crushed tomatoes
  6. 1 can of tomato sauce 
  7. 1 can tomato paste
  8.  1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into about 1 inch chunks
  9. 2 cups soaked, precooked kidney beans (soak for 12-24 hours and cook.  This makes the beans no big deal on your tummy and increases nutrient absorption)
  10. 1 10-oz package frozen corn (one can drained or 1 1/2c fresh may be substituted) 
  11. 1 tsp salt
  12. 2 tsp cumin
  13. 2 tsp chili powder
In a large pot or dutch oven (you cannot beat enameled cast iron!), cook ingredients 1-3 over medium heat for 5-8 minutes until the meat is no longer pink and the veggies are tender.  Do NOT drain off the liquid.  This is both good for you and flavorful.  If it's organic and grass-fed, I do not waste a drop!

Add the garlic, ingredients 11-13, and give a quick stir.  Garlic burns easily, so have your tomatoes open and ready to pour in as soon as you give the garlic and spices a turn around the pot.

Add ingredients 5-7 to the pot ans stir until well combined.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low so that bubbles still break occasionally.  This is a simmer.

Add ingredients 8-10 and stir gently.  This is why you needed to use a big pot.  Cover and forget about it for about 30 minutes to let the flavors meld.  You may stir occasionally, but leave it alone for the most part.

Just after removing the lid
After about 30 minutes, uncover and taste-test.  Adjust seasonings to your liking and add a splash or water or stock if you like a soupier chili.  Let it simmer and cook down for at least 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally.  It will get darker red and the sweet potato will get tender. 

 
See how much darker red and chunkier it gets?













 Enjoy, and top with avocado, sour cream, creme fraiche (I'm all about those cultures!), whatever you like.  If you don't want or need to put it on top of noodles, serve it with cornbread of course.  Does that even need saying?  We like the Pioneer Woman's Skillet Cornbread, though I make a few tweaks, including using bacon grease instead of shortening.  Get a copy of Nourishing Traditions.  It'll change your mind about animal fats and health.


No comments: